I think I’ve written several pieces about the prevalence of idolatry here in the Philippines but now comes the time for me to talk about its logical conclusion. The thing is, the biggest problem with Pinoy society is that we tend to pay more attention to a leader’s more personal issues than their overall agenda and vision. So what happens is that instead of seeing a given leader, like our very own President Rodrigo Duterte for example, as a source of leadership and an inspiration for doing what’s right, there are a great many of us who see them as superheroes or gods who will solve all our problems for us. It gets to the point where these idiots begin to blindly support their chosen leader regardless of said leader’s very own wrongdoing and will belligerently and or even violently no matter how heinous or unacceptable their actions are.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the product of Philippine Idolatry: The ‘Tard
|SUPPORT INDEPENDENT SOCIAL COMMENTARY!|
Subscribe to our Substack community GRP Insider to receive by email our in-depth free weekly newsletter. Opt into a paid subscription and you'll get premium insider briefs and insights from us.
Subscribe to our Substack newsletter, GRP Insider!
Now, it doesn’t really matter who the ‘tard supports. He or she might support the previous administration and its deceitful and insane ways and may or may not be firm believers in the idea that Ninoy Aquino is a hero, Cory Aquino is a saint and that former President Benigno Simeon “BS” Aquino III was “the best president ever”. He or she could be behind the push to bring back “Martial Law” in support of the Marcos family even though I’m willing to bet that a good number of these people don’t even know what they’re talking about such as losing their “freedom of speech” will likely mean that they will no longer be able to use free data to access Facebook and other social media apps on their smartphone. Then there are those who defend President Duterte despite the obvious wrongness of some of what he says and does even after the guy even goes out of his way to apologize and admit to his mistakes.
So Just What Is A ‘Tard?
Ah, let’s start with the most basic question!
A ‘tard is a person who blindly follows another person. It doesn’t matter who that person is. It can be anyone from former President Benigno Simeon “BS” Aquino III, former President Ferdinand Marcos, current President Rodrigo “Digong” Duterte, Senator Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, the Aldub couple, the Kathniel couple, Pastillas Girl, Kris Aquino, Vice Ganda, Darna or Captain Barbell. A ‘tard is someone who would go out of their way to promote, support and defend a given person even when the latter isn’t even slightly aware of them.
A ‘tard, at the bottom of it all and regardless whom he or she supports, is really no different from a zombie or a rabid dog. They are unable to make use of logic, are often incapable of forming coherent trains of thought and are almost always on the look out for anything to attack no matter how harmless it turns out to be. Most of the time, ‘tards are just using free data for FB and draw their conclusions from reading headlines and looking at pictures.
How To Spot A ‘Tard
Well, here are a few things that will allow you to identify a ‘tard online:
- Are usually unwilling or unable to read a full article or comment before reacting belligerently or violently.
- Make avid use of logical fallacies and readily assume that anyone who doesn’t support the person they worship is in favor of the opposition or vice versa. For example:
- ABS-CBN vs. GMA
- Aldub vs. Pastillas Girl
- Duterte vs. LP
- Often make use of words and names that they don’t fully understand. As an example, I can name a certain commenter who said something about other commenters using ad hominem attacks on him even though he himself did not understand.
- Their arguments and concerns are never constant and often contradict themselves. As another example there was this woman who insisted that President Duterte was merely being friendly when he made cat-calls at a given journalist who made it clear that she was insulted by the action. When the other commenters asked the woman how would she feel if similar sexual advances were made towards her, she refused to answer and immediately began verbally attacking said commenters.
Can ‘Tards Be Dangerous?
Now, as I’ve come to realize, ‘tards aren’t just annoying, it’s possible that they can be dangerous to society as a whole. Of course, we can probably assume that majority of them are just a bunch of online bullies. However, take note that online movements are all too often the source of more nefarious and dangerous activities like acts of terrorism and hate crimes.
Another thing to note would be the fact that a lot of ‘tards aren’t willing to take responsibility for anything. They never take anything into consideration no matter how relevant it might actually be. They never apologize when called out and proven wrong and will probably just pass the buck on to someone else just like good ol’ Noynoy.
How Not To Be A ‘Tard
- Read. That’s right. Don’t be lazy and read something fully. Read a full article before commenting or reacting. Heck, some people just look at the picture and come to all sorts of conclusion without even glancing at the article.
- Understand. Again, this is something a lot of people actually fail at. There are a lot of us who are just too literal-minded for their own good. It’s of no surprise that a lot of our shows and a lot of people who watch said shows lack a good sense of humor and are unable to comprehend things like sarcasm and irony.
- Think. This may be last but this is most certainly not the least. If anything, this is quite possibly one of the more important things that prevents one from becoming a full-on “‘tard”. The ability to think, rationalize and use logic before reacting is probably one of the hallmarks of being human. Articles are meant to provoke thought and are not just something to bark at.
I HAVE RETURNED TO LAY WASTE TO OUR ENEMIES!