Another EDSA “people power” anniversary, another traffic jam. These commemorations of that now-debatable “revolution” have become bigger and bigger national cringes with each passing year. But this year’s “celebration” was particularly noteworthy as it features a government that is now on the run from its own “bosses”.Police in anti-riot armour were out in full force today blocking protesters from joining in what was supposed to be a commemoration of the day Filipinos’ freedom to openly express their political views was supposedly regained.
Suffice to say, heavy police presence in this event further convinced people that the government of Philippine President Benigno Simeon ‘BS’ Aquino III was shittin’ bricks today. Not surprising, considering the tide of public opinion has now turned against the former child star of this hallowed tradition. Thanks to a horrific massacre of 44 police officers in the hands of a terrorist organisation the Philippine government has been negotiating with for years, Filipinos are now seeing red rather than yellow whenever they see the Son of Cory.
What is the future of the yellow-branded EDSA “people power” “revolution” now that the pre-eminent scion of the Aquino-Cojuangco clan has not only been disgraced by years of incompetent presidency but also disowned by his real boss, Uncle Peping?
The only way the EDSA tradition can continue into the foreseeable future is if it grows up and starts becoming more consistent with the bigger country and its national colours.
Yellow, though once revered as the symbol of the Laban! (“Fight!”) movement started by the president’s father, the late Benigno ‘Ninoy’ Aquino Jr, is now a severely devalued political colour. It no longer deserves a place in the venerated space around monuments put up in memory of the “spirit” of a long-gone fight for freedom.
- Inquirer columnist Rina Jimenez-David hints at inviting UN-backed military incursion into the Philippines! - July 17, 2019
- Filipinos should change the name of the Philippines to “Riceland” because Filipinos eat rice - July 16, 2019
- Maria Ressa is proof that Corporate Media are no longer credible reporters of “news” - July 14, 2019
- Malacanang assertion that communists are behind UNHRC “investigation” holds water - July 13, 2019
- The UN Human Rights Council assumes Filipino voters are STUPID - July 12, 2019