Another EDSA “people power” anniversary, another traffic jam. These commemorations of that now-debatable “revolution” have become bigger and bigger national cringes with each passing year. But this year’s “celebration” was particularly noteworthy as it features a government that is now on the run from its own “bosses”.
Police in anti-riot armour were out in full force today blocking protesters from joining in what was supposed to be a commemoration of the day Filipinos’ freedom to openly express their political views was supposedly regained.
Suffice to say, heavy police presence in this event further convinced people that the government of Philippine President Benigno Simeon ‘BS’ Aquino III was shittin’ bricks today. Not surprising, considering the tide of public opinion has now turned against the former child star of this hallowed tradition. Thanks to a horrific massacre of 44 police officers in the hands of a terrorist organisation the Philippine government has been negotiating with for years, Filipinos are now seeing red rather than yellow whenever they see the Son of Cory.
What is the future of the yellow-branded EDSA “people power” “revolution” now that the pre-eminent scion of the Aquino-Cojuangco clan has not only been disgraced by years of incompetent presidency but also disowned by his real boss, Uncle Peping?
The only way the EDSA tradition can continue into the foreseeable future is if it grows up and starts becoming more consistent with the bigger country and its national colours.
Yellow, though once revered as the symbol of the Laban! (“Fight!”) movement started by the president’s father, the late Benigno ‘Ninoy’ Aquino Jr, is now a severely devalued political colour. It no longer deserves a place in the venerated space around monuments put up in memory of the “spirit” of a long-gone fight for freedom.
- Regine Velasquez is “Queen of Song” in a country of low standards - April 23, 2019
- Rappler LINKED to a media alliance mounting a concerted vilification campaign against Duterte! - April 22, 2019
- What’s the difference between a person who wants to change sex and a person who wants to change skin colour? - April 15, 2019
- Attention Filipinos: Only a strong military gives SUBSTANCE to REAL national pride - April 9, 2019
- Few weeks to go ’til election day and the Opposition have already lost. Here’s why… - April 5, 2019