The ABS-CBN News headline got it right: “Sorry ladies, Chris Tiu is already married”. He’s the perfect Pinoy guy — handsome, Jesuit-educated, star basketball player, smart (as in, a grad of the Ateneo’s flagship mega-hard ultra-elite course Management Engineering), and, get this, super religious. Legend has it that he prays the rosary everyday. Wow! What a guy!
I mean, maybe Atenistas back in the days of kopong kopong were known to carry rosaries in their pockets — maybe even actually use them for prayer once in a while. Can former president and Ateneo alumnus Joseph “Erap” Estrada help us out here? Is this rosary thing really true, sir?
Nonetheless, are guys like Chris Tiu even supposed to actually exist today in boom-boom Manila of 2013?? Tell me, Lord, if there still any like him out there? Even more incredible, the girl he married, Clarisse Ong, is supposedly his one and only girlfriend since third-year high school. Is this guy for real?
Hold that thought there and let’s pause to thank God Chris Tiu is now married. The Philippines is now a safer place for the lovelorn now that Chris is off the market. Perhaps now we can start to appreciate the guys next to us who are for real. Don’t get me wrong though. Without a doubt, Chris Tiu is the real deal. The fact that he’d quietly slink off to wed his sweetheart in a hush-hush ceremony in Vancouver proves he is not one of those tacky narcissist attention whores that populate Pinoy showbiz (oh yeah, and Pinoy politics too).
But me having taken college Statistics 101, I’d know enough about the odds of finding a guy that has all the boxes ticked. Pity the gals who try so hard to find such a guy. Now there is one less to hope for.
All the best to the TIUperman!
- Prosperity for the countryside: Promote the Philippines as a haven for “digital nomads” - July 30, 2019
- Gretchen Fullido sexual harassment scandal in a time of man-shaming - October 6, 2018
- #ABSCBNBall2018 exhibits all that is wrong about the way Philippine showbiz portrays “class” - September 30, 2018
- Excitement over Panda Express arrival exhibits the power of brands over Filipino consumers - September 28, 2018
- Not really an “Asian” movie but I’m excited to see Crazy Rich Asians nonetheless - August 22, 2018