I don’t know about everyone else but I think that whole “fashionista” show-and-tell last night dubbed the ABS-CBN Ball was damn tacky. I mean, there’s a fine line between edgy and plain old trying hard. These after all are showbiz types — kiddies dressed under the guidance of showbiz costume designers who shape the caricatures of the rich that Filipino movie goers are familiar with.
But the Filipino elite — the real ones — are nothing like the poor copies on exhibit in this Ball. To be fair, the untrained eye would be hard-pressed to find fault in the dresses of the girls. But, man, the boys. Their outfits were screaming f…. (sorry, we’re no longer allowed to used that word).
The one worn by that JADINE boy (what’s his name?) really caught my eye. Aren’t shoulder holsters supposed to be worn on the inside of a dinner jacket?
Duuuuddde. If you really wanted to let people know you have a gun, be a bit more subtle. Take lessons from James Bond.
Tasteful fashion is hard to get. Trying hard to get it makes it even harder. Perhaps the first step is to try to make working in showbiz a bit more of a viable career path for the supposed “best and brightest” of the private school set. Otherwise, all you’ll get are designers of stories and looks who know nothing about the “rich” characters they populate their dramas and romcoms with. That’s a tall order as well considering Pinoy showbiz has still to shake off the baduy stigma it suffers in polite conversations within the closed doors of the exclusive soirees very few have access to.
- Prosperity for the countryside: Promote the Philippines as a haven for “digital nomads” - July 30, 2019
- Gretchen Fullido sexual harassment scandal in a time of man-shaming - October 6, 2018
- #ABSCBNBall2018 exhibits all that is wrong about the way Philippine showbiz portrays “class” - September 30, 2018
- Excitement over Panda Express arrival exhibits the power of brands over Filipino consumers - September 28, 2018
- Not really an “Asian” movie but I’m excited to see Crazy Rich Asians nonetheless - August 22, 2018