If you’re still breathing, then congratulate yourself. You just made it to a very exciting time in Philippine history: 2017! Everyone loves the coming of a New Year: fresh, invigorating, like riding on cloud-9 filled with hope for better things to come. But what exactly does 2017 have in store for us?
Will we have a Rocky Radical 2017?
With our unpredictable new president, political grandmaster Rody Duterte, we should face 2017 bracing for further drastic changes, not discounting the possibilities of:
- the re-declaration of Martial Law
- a revolutionary government by leftists or a military junta
- the establishment of a federal capitalist democracy run by communists
- a people power revolution led by necro-politician Leni and narco-politician Leila
- the further political rise of Manny and Kris
- the formation of the anti-”new world order”: China-Russia-Philippines
- more killings, corruption hearings, terror attacks
New Year’s Resolutions Anyone?
It’s also a time for reflection on one’s life (vis-a-vis our milestones and goals) and listing up New Year’s resolutions. The only thing I have against this practice is that most items on the list barely survive the first 3 weeks of January.
Nevertheless, let’s try to do some reflection on the national scale:
The Secret to Progress in the Philippines: Do Nothing
This may be one of the most counter-intuitive ideas to ponder on as we face the new year. But if you try to analyze deeper, it’s true that INACTION can actually be a primary solution to most of the country’s woes.
I really like Elon Musk’s first-principles way of analyzing things by breaking things down to their fundamental basics. So if we were to classify Filipinos today; they’d fall under 3 basic categories:
- Filipinos who contribute to progress
- Filipinos who destroy the county
- Filipinos who stare at a screen all day watching stuff like Eat Bulaga
What if all those who destroy this country (polluting the environment, diverting public funds into their pockets, plotting terror attacks, peddling drugs, and organizing crime rings) could just be FROZEN by a magic zapping gun, then we might just get to Singapore-class first-world status much faster, wouldn’t we?
In other words, if Category-2 Filipinos simply DID NOTHING, the Philippines would be far better off than it is today. Take for example a man like Trillanes who plots a coup only to badly damage a hotel. The hotel incurs not only loss of income for several business days, but it will also needs to dish out cash to repair all the damage done to it’s building and to its reputation of being a haven of tranquility and rest.
It’s no wonder why only a handful of people are alarmed when a guy filled with tattoos is EJK-ed and left lying on the roadside. Could EJKs be the country’s natural “zapping gun”, a defense mechanism (like antibodies) of a tired disgruntled worn-out populace?
Two Words Filipinos Must Learn: “No” and “Stop”
Remember the 10 commandments. Notice how 8 of the 10 commands start with “ Thou shalt NOT”. By simply stopping many of their activities, Filipinos could lead more productive and healthy lives.
Try saying “NO” to drugs, soft drinks, smoking, junk food, and bad company. Try to STOP playing those addicting time-wasting video games. Try NOT throwing that plastic bag full of garbage into the river.
Yes, “NO” is the answer. So let’s begin the new year with that strong imperative line that Duterte loves to dish out at this country’s fetters to progress… “STOP IT!”
PS: To all the rebels who are still planning to torch the next bus or take down the next cell-site tower, think again before you get zapped into permanent FROZEN state.
- 44 Reasons Why Noynoy Cannot be Thrown into Prison - February 8, 2017
- The Aquinos are traitors: Time to remove their faces from the 500 peso bill - January 21, 2017
- How Filipinos can achieve more by doing less - January 2, 2017
- What should we do with the Philippines’ FLAT spare tire called “VP” Leni? - December 18, 2016
- Moving on from “It’s More Dysfunctional in the Philippines” - September 24, 2016