A wise man learns from his mistakes. Well the Philippines is not known for producing wise men let alone electing them. In fact it is the other way around. The more morally/legally deviant you are, the better chance you have of being elected . To me that speaks more to the essence of the Filipino than anything on American Idol or whatever foreign event the locals whoop up.
You can be a fugitive, guilty of plunder or a coup leader it does not matter to our electorate. They will still be trusted to fulfill the public mandate. Based on our nation’s priorities they are more worried about a beaten to a pulp TV host than enormous amounts of public money directed to the pockets of Senators.
The one picture talks about a student of history. Filipinos really don’t care to be students of anything. They will believe hype, labels and anything that addresses their KSP gene. Achievements, intellect and morals all pale compared a recognizable name and easy to comprehend images. That is why I refuse to fall into this “proud to be Pinoy” BS until the day comes I do not cringe during campaign season. You just have rival factions trying to out dumb (pataasan ng baduy) each other when they are not killing each other. The more anti intellectual you project yourself to be, the more the pinoy electorate will repay you in votes. I mean take a look at today’s headlines. It is a free country after all. Free to be ignorant.
Pinoys forgot that the Winter Olympics existed once Michael Christian Martinez failed to make the cut. Which was exactly my point. Pinoys did not care about the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake, Torino, Vancouver yet they expected a medal from Michael Christian Martinez. The same guy that overcame their apathy up until the opening ceremony. You guys did not even know one of your own was in an event that you don’t pay attention to. Whatever happened to patience , focus and competition?
Three lessons :
- Sometimes it takes a small number of people to believe and work to accomplish something significant for an entire nation.
- The Winter Olympics went on without the Philippines before and went on without it after MCM was eliminated. Regardless of your silly vanity seeking bandwagon. Whatever he did in the Olympics none of you made it possible. In fact you got in the way.
- Pinoys will be there for you during thick and thick. They will credit grab and act like they were always with you. They will thank you for your effort but will not thank you for your foresight. Specially when it means they had none themselves. Makes sense since many of them just want to exploit you.
Vanity and outward looks fuels this nation more than hard work, ingenuity and perseverance. That is why the shallow electorate respond to shallow methods made by shallow candidates. The only thing that is not shallow in this entire equation is our national deficit. With the possible exception of the offshore bank accounts of those same shallow politicians.
Pinoys don’t value preparation, learning and hard work. They will be there though when the rewards are handed out and when the world is watching. They will be in “look at me!!” mode. Vanity and pleasure in the moment are all that matter. If there was a selfie capital of the world, this place is world class. No wonder Belo is taken seriously. Today is Ash Wednesday. A reminder that we will all eventually be ashes. “For you were made from dust, and to dust you will return.” It is what we do and what we continuously stand for that should matter. Or we can take selfies with Bam Aquino.
- Japan and the Philippines A Contrast in Pansin - January 31, 2019
- How Streaming Video Can Help Preserve What Braincells We Have Left - January 25, 2019
- Why We Should Not Negotiate With Terrorists Every Christmas Time - December 18, 2018
- So Now A Christmas Song Is Really Talking About Date Rape - December 6, 2018
- The NBA Is Irrelevant In Seattle - December 4, 2018