The Philippines indeed is a glitzy world of dynastic politics. The following signatories to the impeachment complaint of former Philippine Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona (of a total 188 signatories) are direct relatives of three Senator-Judges during the trial — Senators Edgardo Angara, Jinggoy Estrada, and Juan Ponce Enrile — who voted to issue a “Convict” verdict against Corona.
154. Juan Edgardo Angara (Aurora) (Son of Senator-Judge Edgardo J Angara who voted “Convict”) is both a signatory of the impeachment complaint against Corona and one of the spokespersons of the prosecution team in the trial. He is serving his third term as representative of the lone district of Aurora. During the impeachment trial, his father, Senator Angara, refused to be inhibited as Senator-Judge in the trial despite the younger Edgardo holding a key position within the prosecution panel.
|SUPPORT INDEPENDENT SOCIAL COMMENTARY!|
Subscribe to our Substack community GRP Insider to receive by email our in-depth free weekly newsletter. Opt into a paid subscription and you'll get premium insider briefs and insights from us.
Subscribe to our Substack newsletter, GRP Insider!
176. Joseph Victor Ejercito (San Juan) (Brother of Senator-Judge Jinggoy Estrada who voted “Convict”) – JV Ejercito succeeded his brother Jinggoy as mayor of San Juan City in 2001 and held that office until he was elected to the House of Representatives in 2010. Ejercito had expressed plans to run for a Senate seat in 2013. During the impeachment trial, Ejercito had contradicted the sworn testimony of Navotas Rep. Tobias Tiangco that the House leadership did not force any member of the Lower House to sign the impeachment complaint against Corona.
180. Jack Enrile (Cagayan) (Son of Senator-Judge and Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile who voted “Convict”) – Legendary “spoiled brat” who was “once suspected of having his bodyguards shoot down a guy who stared at him in a nightclub.” (Domini M. Torrevillas, â€œDemythologizing Jack Enrileâ€ Philippine Star) and allegedly linked to a “number of ‘incidents’, ranging from the supposed suicide of his sisterâ€™s boyfriend, to the shooting of perceived enemies and critics” (Rina Jimenez-David â€œThe mythology around Jack Enrileâ€ Inquirer.net).
The prosecution team hailed Corona’s conviction as a “major victory” of the Filipino people and one which will provide “a big boost to President Aquinoâ€™s campaign to cleanse the bureaucracy of graft and corruption”.
benign0 is the Webmaster of GetRealPhilippines.com.
9 Replies to “All in the family: father-son-brother tandems that impeached Corona”
BenignO: To put an end to this â€œall in the family affair,â€ the Constitution should be amended to include this prohibition:
“No person shall be elected to any national or local elective office more than once. This perpetual disqualification shall apply to the spouse of the incumbent elective official and to the children and their spouses.â€
Once such amendment is ratified, only ONE member of a Filipino family during its lifetime would be afforded the opportunity to be elected to public office–and only ONCE.
I agree with your kind of amendment.
Jack Enrile is almost like Noynoy: he’s also a retard. 😀
our politicians would never approve of that law. after all, they want to run again and again since it’s the people who vote.
Although not all are part of a dynasty, they voted for their survival. No principles involved there. Don’t ever forget:
1) the Villars. Manny seemed very reluctant to convict. In fact he mumbled some things to the effect that he knows Chief Justice Corona to be a good, upright man. Then why the H*ll did he convict? Now that his wife Cynthia is on the LP slate, we have our answer.
2) the Cayetanos. Bro is up for re-election, so bro AND sis have to obey the president. Or else… Oh, bro’s wife is running too. Alang alang sa dynasty, itatapon nila ang prinsipyo.
3) Lapid. His wife is still being charged in the US for bringing in mucho dollares and needs Abnoy’s help for that (I wonder if he really doesn’t have a dollar account).
4) Rectos. Ralph needs LP to help Vilma in the coming elections. Plain and simple. He should know.
5) Bong Revilla. His wife, son, brother…(maybe a girfriend here or there)…all running in the next elections. Again, he wasn’t about to jeopardize their dynasty for principles.
6) Escudero. He is so desperate to win and salvage his dwindling popularity that he was willing to convict an innocent man and become a talk show host…with the impeacher’s sister. How obvious is that?!?
7) Honasan. His theme song for Enrile: “Wherever you go, I shall go…” He cannot think or do on his own. Already a “senator” but still Enrile’s gofer. Practically his son.
8) Loren. Political prostitute. Need I say more?
9) Trillanes. Backdoor agent of Abnoy DURING the impeachment. How can he even feign impartiality? A decent person would have inhibited. But we all know he’s NOT.
I can’t think of the others right now. And YES, these TRAPOS are guilty of crimes for sure. What they convicted Chief Justice Corona so mercilessly for is not even a crime. Yet they projected it to be so. To divert attention from themselves and their own crimes. Same strategy is used by Abnoy. He finds some diverstion (usually news about CJ Corona) to divert attention from wrongdoings of his administration.
We cannot allow them to continue with such impunity. Vote wisely.
15 million yellow zombies, who are also idiots and stupid.
a name… Alfie Anido