Interesting insight into how the mind of a die-hard celebrity “activist” works. Attempts to discuss ideas simply fly over some people’s heads because of a seeming inability to lift the level of discourse from political people and events to the stratosphere of world-class thinking where ideas are the primary currency of discourse.
Evidence of this can be found in a Twitter exchange that celebrity and Black & White Movement honcho Leah Navarro found herself in recently:
[See original Tweet exchange here.]
Navarro seems to approach “discussion” by dragging the conversation down to her personal comfort zone — a zone where mediocre minds thrive.
Thus the sad nature of the Philippine National “debate” — one where celebrities rather than statesmen and true thinkers dominate. You can’t really take a consistent position on the real issues when you have very little room to move in a personal landscape of thinking framed by your personal affiliations. That is the whole trouble with people who presume to take a stand about something but remain irrevocably affiliated to parties and personalities. The loyalty should be to the idea and principle. Unfortunately a lot of the Philippines’ “thought leaders” are beholden to personalities.
Like her chum Jim Paredes who sold out on his own principles to align himself with the popular political fad of our time, Leah Navarro suffers from a condition not uncommon amongst the degenerate clique of opinion shapers who have for so long grossly misguided Filipinos.
Small minds discuss people;
Mediocre minds discuss events;
Brilliant minds discuss ideas.
[NB: Above quote said to have been said by former US First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.]
- After being a big “anti-Fake News crusader”, Rappler is now exposed as a Fake News Site! - February 20, 2018
- Bong Go cleared of “intervention” allegations, Rappler’s crooked journalism laid bare! - February 19, 2018
- Filipino culture may not be compatible with operating and using modern train systems - February 19, 2018
- Does anyone have the right to tell Liza Soberano how “Filipino” she is? - February 19, 2018
- Yet another sloppy Rappler report launches needless brouhaha over frigate project - February 17, 2018