About a year after the Aquino Administration hailed the “Habagat” floods as not being as bad as the Ondoy floods during the Arroyo Administration, the severe flooding that happened all over Metro Manila last night and today shows that the Do Nothing government has done what was expected of it. Nothing.
Sure, Habagat was not as bad as Ondoy perhaps in the same sense that having your belongings soaked in creeping floods is better than your stuff being swept away by a raging current.
Over in Marikina City, almost everybody living near the river (in my case, Provident Village), everybody stayed up till the wee hours of the morning hauling stuff to their second floors and packing things in plastic boxes just in case. I spent a few hours looking at Marikina River on top of the dike at Riverside drive and keeping an eye on @MarikinaPIO, which is the official twitter account of the Marikina Public Information Office.
It wasn’t until four hours ago or 3AM that the water level of the river started subsiding after reaching 16 meters.
At this point, I have pretty much the feeling that in order to weasel out of any blame for not doing enough to prevent another flooding, the Aquino Administration is going to try and sell the idea that the rains were of an unusually heavy and widespread character — laying the ground work for saying that it’s helpless against ‘acts of nature’.
In June this year, the DPWH announced that it would complete flood mitigation programs between July and September. Over in the senate, Administration Ally Ralph Recto questioned the effectiveness of a proposed Metro Manila flood control program.
But so far, all in all, it’s been a lot of talk and certainly no improvement at a time when the entire Aquino Administration is awash in talks of massive corruption arising from pork barrel misuse.
- The PCOO’s Stupid Critics Should Just Shut Up - July 22, 2018
- Enemies Fourth Estate (Part Three): Fake Journo Sixto Lagare’s Lust for the P100 Million DILG Federalism Fund - June 22, 2018
- What has Ninoy Aquino actually achieved that makes him better than other Opposition leaders? - June 8, 2018
- Lray and Migz Villafuerte Win 2018 Douchebag Governors Award - May 22, 2018
- Fact Checking CNN Philippines News Report on “Villar property firm is behind levelling of Boracay mountain” - May 17, 2018