And Other Stupid Things People Will Believe Because Its Retweeted or Reposted on Facebook
Remember a while back, Tim Yap mistakenly tweeted that some reporter had won the biggest Lotto prize? Â A lot of people re-tweeted it and believed it because they thought that Yap was a credible journalist.
TV host and active Twitterer Tim Yap has apologized for wrongly claiming that Philippine Daily Inquirer reporter Miko Morelos won the P741 million jackpot prize of the 6/55 Grand Lotto. Yap Tweeted: “It was an honest mistake. My apologies if any of you were offended by the mistweet, although I clarified it in my next tweets that Mr. Morelos wasn’t the winner but the reporter who covered the lotto proceedings. I tweeted those messages without any malice or ill intentions. I have already spoken to Mr. Morelos and personally apologized to him.”
His apology for being inaccurate MISSED THE POINT by a whole mile! The identity of a Lotto winner should never be revealed because of the probably harm that may happen to them.
Three years after Yap’s embarrassingly thoughtless tweet, we have yet another instance where thousands of people believed something just because it was tweeted by a supposedly “credible” person.
Carlos Celdran, cultural activist and ambassador of freedom, said through Twitter and Facebook on March 18, 2013:
SM will try to convince Olivier Ochanine of the PPO on Wednesday that they are committed to building a â€œstate of the art venueâ€ at the Philamlife Hall. CONFIRMED. They are tearing down Philamlife.Â And of course you know â€œState of the Artâ€ means CHEAP, UGLY, BADUY architecture in place of a half century old classic. Seriously.Â FUCK you, Sy Family. FUCK YOU. #FuckYouOfTheDay
As it turned out, SMDC had not finalized any plans for the Philamlife Building or the Philamlife Theater. Â This makes Celdran’s rant unfair, baseless, and speculative.
How could Celdran at all say thatÂ â€œState of the Art means CHEAP, UGLY, BADUY architecture”Â when no architecturalÂ plans had been finalized? Â It seemed he was critiquing something that existed ONLY IN HIS MIND.
What made this worse was his use of libelous profanity against the entire Sy family!
This is just plain wrong on so many respects, not the least of which is that Celdran’s use of profanity cut the route towards FREE and OPEN dialogue Â — something that could have helped immensely in convincing the Sys to preserve the Philamlife Building, IF THAT WAS CELDRAN’S OBJECTIVE.
Can you imagine, if instead of engaging in “shocktivisim”, Celdran sought the more sober and dignified route? Â Perhaps this could have convinced the Sys about the architectural and cultural value of the entire building. Â After all, the Sys are shrewd business people and if there IS value in something, it would be against their interests to destroy it.
Of course, all that is speculation at this point and we will NEVER know what could have happened — all thanks to Celdran’s drama.
As it now turns out, it seems that ONLY the Philamlife theater will be saved instead of the entire building and this is largely credited to Olivier Ochanine — NOT CELDRAN.
Music lovers can rest easy after residential property developer SM Development Corp. (SMDC) said it would â€œsave and preserveâ€ the â€œculturally historicâ€ Philamlife Theater in Manila following pleas from heritage conservation advocates.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the firm led by tycoon Henry Sy vowed to preserve â€œthe complete theater, including all its elements and most especially its acousticsâ€ in close consultation with the countryâ€™s music, acoustics and design experts.
The commitment was made following a dialogue between SMDC vice chair and chief executive officer Henry Sy Jr. and Olivier Ochanine, music director and chief conductor of the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra.
- President Duterte Should Appoint ThinkingPinoy RJ Nieto as his Communications Secretary - October 14, 2017
- Senate Passes Gordon Sotto Bill Postponing Barangay Elections - September 22, 2017
- Hey #CarlosConde ! Who Did You Say Was DOING LITTLE To Keep Journos Safe? - August 17, 2017
- Human Rights Watch Utter Lack Credibility Endangers True Human Rights Vigilance - August 14, 2017
- Human Rights Watch Researcher Carlos H. Conde’s Ignorant Report on Media Security - August 13, 2017