My question is: Why does Aga Muhlach want to run for Congress to begin with? What’s in it for him? Why does he want to become a politician so badly that he’d force the highly-debatable issue of his residency in Camarines Sur, the province he wants to “represent” as a lawmaker in the House of Representatives?
Is being a politician the be-all end-game of the average showbiz personality? Then again if you think about it, in a democracy, a politician’s only qualification is really his or her popularity. Showbiz personalities have lots of that. And that, ultimately, is what qualifies them for the job.
You need a law degree to be a lawyer, an engineering degree to build skyscrapers and bridges, a degree in medicine to perform surgery, and a license to drive a car.
But to be a politician, you just need to be popular.
That’s the beauty of democracy. It makes things simple. If you’re not popular, you don’t get to rule.
Or is it really that simple?
Perhaps not. Aga is finding the answer to that question out the hard way in the aftermath of a judge ordering his exclusion from the voters’ list in Bicol — a ruling that could prove to be a show-stopper…
Muhlach, who is seeking a congressional seat in Camarines Sur, has to be a qualified voter so his certificate of candidacy would not be cancelled. However, upon the petition of four San Jose residents, two local courts in San Jose ordered the coupleâ€™s names stricken from the votersâ€™ list for allegedly failing to establish their residency six moths before the registration period, as required by the Commission on Elections.
Some hint as to Aga’s personal stake in the matter is in the counter-argument filed by his lawyer; that he and his wife might “suffer grave and irreparable damage and injury as they will be deprived of their constitutional right of suffrage.”
That sounds pretty reasonable. We wouldn’t want Aga Muhlach and his lovely wife Charlene Gonzales to be scarred for life by a failure to run for Congress in Camarines Sur, do we? Of course not.
- UP “activists” are wrong — the Lantern Parade is NOT an occasion for political activism - December 18, 2017
- Here is how INTELLIGENT Opposition to the Duterte administration is done… - December 18, 2017
- Filipinos are poor because their “activists” teach them to be obsessed with the rich - December 17, 2017
- Why did Isabelle Duterte have a photoshoot in Malacanang Palace? Because she can. - December 17, 2017
- Noynoy Aquino lauded for merely showing up at Congress inquiry on Dengvaxia - December 15, 2017