With the impending arrest of Rappler CEO Maria Ressa, the usual clique “social justice warriors” (SJWs) are up in arms. But the Philippine government’s stand on the matter remains consistent. A statement released by the Department of Justice reads…
Assistant State Prosecutor Zenamar Machacon-Caparros upheld the complaint filed by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) against Rappler Holdings Corporation (RHC) and Ressa for wilful attempt to evade or defeat tax and willful failure to supply correct and accurate information…
Indeed, if there is any actual threat to “free speech”, it can be found in how Rappler goes about reporting about its own predicament. Rather than highlight the true facts surrounding its case which all point not just to Ressa’s negligence as CEO but to a seemingly deliberate effort mounted by her company to circumvent corporate regulation, Rappler‘s reporters put up mere strawmen.
Rappler, in fact, has a spotty record when it comes to abiding by the law. Back in 2012, Rappler “reporters” Magtanggol de la Cruz and Carmela Fonbuena published the balance of one of Corona’s foreign currency deposits in an article that bears the ironic title ‘Secrecy in foreign currency deposits‘ dated the 8th of Feb. Fonbuena reveals not only that dollar amount but the account number where it is deposited as well in that “report”.
Ressa speaks with some sort of self-administered authority on what it means to “take responsibility”. Yet to this day we have not seen any sort of action taken or rectifications made with regard to the behaviour of her so-called “online journalists”.
It is high time Maria Ressa be taken to task for the irresponsible management of her “news” media organisation. The case surrounding alleged tax evasion should be regarded with a critical mind before even considering the lame and desperate appeals to emotion being dished out by Ressa and her henchwomen.
- Regine Velasquez is “Queen of Song” in a country of low standards - April 23, 2019
- Rappler LINKED to a media alliance mounting a concerted vilification campaign against Duterte! - April 22, 2019
- What’s the difference between a person who wants to change sex and a person who wants to change skin colour? - April 15, 2019
- Attention Filipinos: Only a strong military gives SUBSTANCE to REAL national pride - April 9, 2019
- Few weeks to go ’til election day and the Opposition have already lost. Here’s why… - April 5, 2019