A photo of a waiting lounge littered with rubbish in Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) has caught the attention of many people and is making the rounds on social media.
The photo was originally posted by former Philippine Bureau of Customs Commissioner Ruffy Biazon on Twitter with the caption:
NAIA 3…trash left behind by passengers..if only they had done their patriotic duty to throw their trash in the bin.
The NAIA has for many years been consistently featured in lists of top worst airports in the world owing to the decrepit state of its physical structures and shoddy service within these that have made it world-renowned.
But this photo is evidence that airport officials alone cannot be blamed for its squalor — or for that matter the squalor of any public facility in the Philippines. What can be noted here is that the actual facility itself seems to be new and well-maintained. The floor is polished and the seats seem to be in good order. The problem here seems to be in the people who use the facility.
Indeed, ultimately what the Philippines is today reflects the character of the people who constitute the country.
- Do Filipino parents really want their kids participating in campus “activism”? - February 17, 2020
- IBON Foundation “red-tagging” complaint will fly only if they can CATEGORICALLY DENY links to the Communist Party - February 10, 2020
- How Filipinos can fix their broken “democracy” - February 8, 2020
- The Yellow-led Philippine Opposition are missing many opportunities to LEAD Filipinos - February 3, 2020
- “Woke” folks should tread carefully when expressing more than grief over Kobe Bryant’s death - January 28, 2020