There is something fundamentally wrong in what former University of the Philippines president Jose V. Abueva says today in his Inquirer column Let’s calm down and move forward…
Nevertheless, so many more peace-loving Christians and Muslims nationwide are praying and working for enduring peace and development in Mindanao by establishing the Bangsamoro autonomous region. The revered Cotabato Archbishop Orlando Cardinal Quevedo urges all of us to support the [Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL)], reject our biases, and show our deep trust in our Muslim brothers and sisters. For they have paid so dearly and so unjustly for many decades.
Examine the above words carefully. What Abueva is essentially trying to tell us is;
(1) That “establishing a Bangsamoro autonomous region” is pre-requisite to all Filipinos seeing “enduring peace and development in Mindanao”;
(2) That an urge to “support the BBL” coming from some Cardinal necessarily makes that position the right one; and,
(3) That there presumably exists a “deep trust in our Muslim brothers and sisters” that only needs to be “shown” by all Filipinos.
Framed this way, this most recent attempt to persuade Filipinos to see things in the nonsensical way Philippine President Benigno Simeon ‘BS’ Aquino III prefers comes across as a clever but sad insult to Filipinos’ already banktupted intelligence.
As I mentioned in the previous article, nobody wants war. But if we look around us, the only people illegally bearing arms around here are a bunch of Islamic terrorists that the Philippine government under BS Aquino’s leadership was appallingly foolish enough to sit on a negotiating table with. To add insult to injury, it has even emerged that the so-called “leaders” and “representatives” of this band have all the while used false names while dealing with the Philippine government’s “peace” negotiators and, worst of all, hinted at an allegiance to Kuala Lumpur first before the Filipino people. And the worst of the worst of all is that they (we seem to have forgotten now) are the prime suspects in the massacre of 44 Filipino police officers!
These, supposedly are the foundations of the “biases” the venerable former UP president would like Filipinos to “reject”. Holy cow!
Trust is not something you gain from another by repeatedly poking her with your “urges”. You need to earn trust, Mister Abueva.
One can’t help but wonder what kindergarten Mister Abueva attended. You’d think most graduates of kindergarten would have that sort of intuitive grasp of the notion of trust. To think this guy was once “president” of the Philippines’ premiere state universtity. Sorry, the State University.
Tell that to the Marines. Literally.
[Thumbnail photo courtesy Philippine Life.]
- A New Marawi City that is SQUATTER-FREE is an absolutely worthwhile goal - October 20, 2017
- Filipinos will gain more self-respect by eliminating their dependency on First World dole-outs - October 19, 2017
- HOPE lies in imagining a JEEPNEY-FREE Philippines - October 18, 2017
- Like squatters, jeepney drivers are national PARASITES - October 17, 2017
- The time has come to have a conversation about someone’s face - October 16, 2017