According to homicide incidence figures taken from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime’s International Homicide Statistics database, the incidence of intentional homicides jumped from lows of 6.44 and 6.93 per 100,000 in 2008 and 2009 respectively (towards the end of the term of former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo) to rates in excess of 9 per 100,000 over the first three years of the term of then President Benigno Simeon ‘BS’ Aquino III.
The following chart clearly illustrate the jump in homicide rates from 2010 when Aquino took office as President.
Indeed, towards the end of Arroyo’s term, homide rates were undergoing a downward trend. The trend was abruptly broken and significantly changed in direction at the beginning of the Second Aquino Administration.
- #DefendPressFreedom has been reduced to an elitist “movement” - February 14, 2019
- The Philippine Government should shut down Facebook and make Maria Ressa happy - February 12, 2019
- Filipinos led by Leni Robredo flirt with inciting racial hatred for ethnic Chinese foreigners - February 11, 2019
- “Activist” noise surrounding this “measles epidemic” should be taken with a grain of salt - February 8, 2019
- Whatever Bong Go is doing, it seems to be working - February 6, 2019