According to homicide incidence figures taken from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime’s International Homicide Statistics database, the incidence of intentional homicides jumped from lows of 6.44 and 6.93 per 100,000 in 2008 and 2009 respectively (towards the end of the term of former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo) to rates in excess of 9 per 100,000 over the first three years of the term of then President Benigno Simeon ‘BS’ Aquino III.
The following chart clearly illustrate the jump in homicide rates from 2010 when Aquino took office as President.
Indeed, towards the end of Arroyo’s term, homide rates were undergoing a downward trend. The trend was abruptly broken and significantly changed in direction at the beginning of the Second Aquino Administration.
- Filipino voters should let go of their fixation on celebrity candidates like Jinggoy Estrada and Bong Revilla - May 12, 2019
- Filipinos should stop helping the poor through the Roman Catholic Church - May 11, 2019
- Bikoy saga: a crooked Philippine media uncritically delivers a crook’s message - May 7, 2019
- Filipino voters NOT GOOD ENOUGH for Otso Diretso candidates according to Randy David - May 6, 2019
- Why “First real Pinoy Marvel hero” Wave (a.k.a. Pearl Pangan) is unhealthy for Filipino Pride - May 4, 2019