Why Christianity is real

First, some criticize “the fact that many religions claim to be the one true religion, and since all religions are based on belief, we should simply separate ourselves from that and just respect those who believe”. The flaw of this logic is that in the court of law which is supposed to reflect logical operation, you don’t base the truth or falsity of a statement based on the number of statements of other people that claim the same thing but rather on the “proof” or “evidence”, and that is what separates Christianity from any other religion. We have overwhelming historical evidence of God’s existence, and I’m not talking about the Bible. There is proof that indeed Jesus Christ claimed to be the Son of God. There is proof that the same man prophesied His own death and resurrection. Finally, there is proof that indeed a man who claims to be the Son of God who was crucified and claimed to rise in three days did rise literally from the dead. This is the basis of Christianity. If any of these events are proven to be false, then Christianity is a false religion. What separates us is that there is actual proof. It is not like Hinduism and Greek Gods that just popped out of nowhere. Therefore, it is much more logical to believe in God and takes more faith to not believe that He exists. Despite the evidence, many people still do not believe in God, and it is not because of intellectual reasons that arise from the “lack of evidence”. When you look at these people’s lives, it is more emotional than intellectual.

Second, some criticize that there are flaws in Christianity based on their reasoning with their own Bible. Not surprisingly, upon studying the Word more carefully, many of these questions have been answered, and the lack of answers for some questions is not a substantial basis to lose faith. For instance, you may not know everything that a doctor you seek has gone through, what exact classes he took and grades he got from those, but it doesn’t seem to shake your faith much in the doctor’s ability. So why do you not treat the doctor with the same skepticism as you treat Christianity? That’s not fair. That is not logical. However, to seek answers to answered questions is not bad. It is actually the opposite. What makes it bad is if a few unanswered questions becomes the source of disbelief.

Third, atheists then resort to philosophy to try and debunk Christianity. The problem with this is that philosophy is bound by human logic, whereas Christianity goes beyond it. Philosophy in itself begs the question. For instance, Martin Heidegger defines what an “authentic” life is, but who is he to do that in the first place? He says that idle talk and curiosity lead to an inauthentic life, but again, who is he to say that? Existentialist philosophers may claim that “you have no purpose in life; we make our own purpose”, but it then begs the question, who are they to say that? Now, some of you may be thinking “who then is this author to say these things?”. The difference between me and the philosophers is that I am simply laying out facts and logical conflicts. I am not trying to make a new concept. To respect a skeptic mind who does not wish to agree with that, then I also want to ask what makes philosophy more credible? Is it not true that philosophy in itself is composed of many THEORIES and conflicting views? Is it not also true that learning a philosophy will cause you to question it further and seek better answers? While there is nothing wrong with that, how come the lack of answers does not seem to bother your current faith in the philosophy you believe in, but it bothers your faith in Christianity when you have a few unanswered questions. Why such bias in treatment? A truly logical person would not do that. The answer lies with the fact that again, many people do not believe in God not for intellectual reasons but for emotional ones, and if you are one of these people, it is time to re-evaluate yourself.

About Vladimir Santos

Vladimir Santos is a divergent writer. He avoids government-level politics. Instead, he promotes modern conservatism as a means to solve societal issues innate within Filipinos. If an article you see is not about bashing a politician, it's probably his.

Post Author: Vladimir Santos

61 thoughts on “Why Christianity is real

T

(February 15, 2017 - 8:02 pm)

Wow an article that claims to be logical by using special pleading and appeal to ignorance.
    If this is a troll piece, bravo. If not, how to be you sir, so omniscient.

The Cynic

(February 15, 2017 - 8:16 pm)

Such a claim of authenticity of a particular faith is, at the very least, arrogant. Out of the innumerable faiths across the world, Christianity is one of the youngest and therefore have had its “proof” more easily discovered or preserved due to the advancement of technology and the following advent of modern civilization and society.

Older faiths, spanning back from more than 5000 years or more may not have had such luck and instead, “proof” of their respective deities may have only been preserved through scriptures or words of mouth because of warfare or the lack of adequate means to preserve their knowledge. Hence, claiming “proof” of Christianity as empirical or authentic is a subjective truth at best. For instance, Greece fell into the hands of Rome and the Roman Empire was sacked by the Germanic barbarians who consequently destroyed most of its written records and artifacts, including those which were passed down by the Greeks, and which hailed the Dark Ages.

Second, the article seems to base its premise in Pascal’s wager, which, in itself is flawed. It isn’t more logical to believe in a god or gods as it is with non-believing. Faith, after all, is based more on instinct–gut feeling if you will–and not on empiricism.

Further, pointing out that it is through emotional reasons that non-believers do not believe is a misguided notion. Is it not for intellectual purposes that a person should require empirical or concrete evidence before he believes in a grandiose claim? No one is born a believer in any faith. Religion is a taught dogma passed down by progenitors to descendants at an age where the latter’s mind is an impressionable Tabula Rasa (clean slate).

I do not claim that there is or there is no god–just that the existence of one cannot be proven nor disproved. Yet. But I believe that once a religion dies, it becomes mythology or a set of children’s fairy tales.

Robert Haighton

(February 15, 2017 - 9:08 pm)

I am not sure I speak on behalf of all atheists but I dont live resorting to a philosophy to try and debunk Christianity. I just look at some biblical texts and I think that most are not very practical and I cant and dont support those texts.

Example:
    I see gay and lesbian people as human beings. So they must have the same rights as I do (being a heterosexual and being a human being). So they must be legally allowed to get married. Because they love only people from their own gender doesnt make them different or less. Is that an emotional cry? Fine, so be it.

Example 2:
    “Go and multiply”
    That is something 2 people have to decide for themselves but it would be better – in the interest, wellcare and wellbeing – of the child when it happens by viewing at the future of the baby.
    I see people multiplying (not literally) knowing that the future of the baby is already destroyed and ruined from the moment of ‘conception’. That is what I call NOT smart.

So Christianity (Islam, Buddhism, jewism) is real. Yes it is. But to follow it literally is stupid and to follow the rules can be devastating (especially when not critical).

Bad Will Jam

(February 15, 2017 - 11:06 pm)

A religion is like a directional map. If it is unclear or there are some missing important links or you spotted some indistinct information, of course, you shouldn’t buy that map and you must find another one that will assure you’ll reach your final destination.

Nobody really wants to get lost in the journey to salvation. So I suggest, Mr. Vladimir, don’t take that direction that has some distorted junctions! A road to salvation isn’t like seeking treatment from a Doctor where you could still, at no time, find a replacement if that doctor committed mistakes in the diagnosis.

In our journey to the hereafter, there is definitely no turning back once you are there! So be careful when choosing what to believe in. God is perfect. His way is perfect; there shouldn’t be a cloudy thing in the book you are supposed to believe in- because it is your “final destination” you are seeking in that book or the reason you are following that God!

Robert Haighton

(February 16, 2017 - 12:18 am)

Bad Will Jam,

“final destination” – “salvation” – “hereafter”.

Thank goodness, my life is much simpler. I dont need to think about those things. I am born, I will die someday and inbetween those 2 moments I have to make sure I will lead a comfortable life in such a way that I dont need to worry about today and about my future. And when I am dead, I will be cremated. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

They always say RIP when people are dead but I already have peace and rest. So even while I am still alive and kicking I am RIP.

512Toro007Hyden999.999

(February 16, 2017 - 3:29 am)

@Robert Haighton:

I am a Christian ; and I am not stupid…I follow this religion, because of my faith in it; not because of reason, that Atheist, like you do.

I have seen miracles in my life; that I cannot explain. I had seen prayers to God, answered ; and I cannot explain , why and how they were answered. I had seen bad people turn to good people, on the prayers and petitions of their lover ones.

I had cheated death many times, that my human reason cannot explain, how I survived…

So, I will stay believing in a Divine Power, higher than me !

Robert Haighton

(February 16, 2017 - 3:56 am)

Hyden,
        Why are you a Christian? Simple. You were baptised without your consent (you were most likely still a baby/toddler/infant) and everything biblical was thrown in your throat before you knew it (You were probably also circumcised without your consent). Add to that that everyone around you was and is also Christian so you never had to doubt your own religion. It was even more enforced during school and your friends and collegeus. In a country totalling 98.5% being religious, no doubt nobody is gonna doubt anything. You live on an island (without any land neighbours) and the countries around you (Indonesia) is also a overwhelmingly religious country.

As human being, I can adapt and adopt any biblical doctrine I want. And I will do so as long as and if/when I see the benefit of it for myself. I hope you will agree with me that adapting/adopting to something NOT beneficial for me, is stupid. Choosing something that will have a negative outcome, is stupid and avoidable by not choosing it.

Everytime when I have to explain my ‘religion’ to a pinay, I am even surprised that the other party even never heard of atheism and doesnt know what it stands for. And they are in total shock when I explain what kind of laws we have in my country. I am the living devil for them, and satan included. As if we – Dutch people – are all cannabalists. Their knowledge about the world is very small. As if there is only 1 religion.

The only PH agnost and/or PH atheist I know are from Filipino Freethinkers and Patas. Those 2 are probably not more than a blink/blip on a radar screen.

Bad Will Jam

(February 16, 2017 - 5:52 pm)

Robert Haighton

Good to hear that you are at least worriless about your future. I don’t have a problem with that. But, being humans endowed with the ability to discern on endless of beautiful things around us, it makes us so thankful for having given this chance to live the life we currently enjoy- especially like yours, a worriless one! Now, to whom shall I address my gratitude for all these creations that also include my life? There must be a Creator out there that we should be grateful to!

Robert Haighton

(February 16, 2017 - 8:01 pm)

Bad Will Jam,
          My creators were my parents. Their creators were their parents. And so on. I am the first and only son and the 3rd child of my parents. Maybe I was lucky. If only they (my parents) told themselves: “okay, two is enough” I wouldnt be here. But never forget, what they did (make love, get pregnant and give birth) was discussed, planned and timed. And that means, simmply, that god had no hands in that entire process.

I know where you wanna go. Okay so lets assume god indeed put Adam here (How did he do that?) What trick did he use?), milliseconds later followed by Eve. (Why did he needed a bone from Adam’s body to put Eve here?). Why did he chose such a lousy surrounding? Eve start eating from the forbidden fruit, right?
          And if he is so almighty, perfect and great why didnt he just repeated his trick again but then without trees, without fruits and without snakes? He could have put the perfect John & Anita alongside Adam & Eve on a bare empty field, without trees, without fruit and without snakes. Why did he only do that trick once (pls look at the analogy I gave you about Hyden the trainer/coach. At least Hyden did it 3 times)?
          Finally, between the Adam & Eve generation and the generation (my parents) that really put me here, a lot could have gone wrong in such way that I would not be here. And because I do know my parents, who actually raised me and gave me every opportunity to develop myself. Most credits should be given to them (my parents) and not to a lousy someone who did a lousy trick only once.
          BTW: I dont know him, it happened a ‘million’ years ago. I dont even ‘know’ who my great grandparents are.

As you can see, his appearance raises more questions and there are no answers. Why is that? Simple! Because it is invented myth. And nobody cared to explain all that glory in the bible. Here is another one. A woman getting pregnant without sex?

They really had to write a far better story before I will actually believe it. Furthermore, to credit and honor somebody who did a trick only once PLUS so many million years ago is not worth to worship or to credit for. Along all the roads (all genrations before me), I could not have been here.

I am too simple to believe such a too simple story.

Robert Haighton

(February 16, 2017 - 8:48 pm)

Bad Will Jam,
          (now the more social version)

I am not mad at people like you who believe in a god and worship him. I dont hate you and I certainly will never kill you (and people like you). I just see that my life is much easier. I see a lot of religious people struggle (and that was not needed) especially in your country (but also in other countries). And that makes me sad (yes that is an emotion, but that emotion doesnt get on top of me).
          I see people keep on procreating while they live in devastating areas and surroundings. Is that out of religiosity or is that out of a cultural need or is that lack of knowledge how to prevent getting pregnant without using contraceptives?

But most of all, what I dont get is that people worship a ‘person’ like that. I may envy you, I may be jealouse of you but thats about it. But to worship a ‘guy’ who did something (doing something not that great, I might add) really goes beyond me.

d_forsaken

(February 15, 2017 - 11:31 pm)

The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly.

315Hyden007Toro9999.999

(February 16, 2017 - 4:43 am)

@Robert Haighton:

Even if my parents shoved the Christian religion into my throat, when I was an infant…I would had abandoned this Christian religion; at the time , I had grown up. I went to school; to college, and to further studies…I have not abandoned my Christian faith. It worked for me….it made me peaceful…it gave me knowledge and wisdom…

I enjoyed reading the Christian Bible, especially the : Parables of Jesus Christ;the Sermon on the Mount; the miracles; the Psalms; the Book of Proverbs; the Book of Wisdom; the stories of prophets and other men of God, etc…

I enjoy reading the Letters of St. Paul to the Churches of Asia…I am confounded by the Book of Revelation, written by St. John the Divine , during his exile on the island of Potmus, Cyprus…

I don’t know how you became an Atheist…it is your belief, and I respect it…

Let us respect other people’s beliefs.

Robert Haighton

(February 16, 2017 - 4:54 am)

Hyden,
        I was born the same way as you with Tabula Rasa. My parents encouraged and stimulated me to explore the world and absorb everything and then decide what I wanted to choose. For me, atheism is not a belief and its not a religion. I dont even like the name itself but I dont know a better one.

How can you respect my ‘belief’ and be totally against it?
        I dont respect a religion/religious person and/but I will never kill a religious person, I dont even hate religious people.

Rob

(February 16, 2017 - 9:29 pm)

Robert Haighton is an atheist because he grew up with an atheist family! Both the mother and father are themselves atheist! Mr. Haighton was denied the freedom of choice right from when he was born and grew up learning to like the perks of practicing atheism which is all about freedom from guilt!

To an Atheist mind, every Religion is about control. Atheism removes control therefore equals Freedom.

Bad Will Jam

(February 17, 2017 - 7:51 pm)

Robert Haighton:

Thank you for sharing your Atheist’s beliefs. Sure, you will not kill me or anyone as I won’t even think of doing it to you or to anybody else. Cool heads never kill each other regardless of the religion they’re affiliated with. Hotheaded ones do- even Saints could kill someone once they blew their tops (you can ask the medieval Popes about it)!

Going back to who created you, of course, you should be grateful to your parents for that procreating process they did just to have you in this world. And as you’ve said “.., what they did (make love, get pregnant and give birth) was discussed, planned and timed. And that means, simply, that god had no hands in that entire process… OK, fine and let’s assume you are right here. Now let’s use this same argument on another situation like- you feel so dehydrated and quenched this thirst after drinking cold sweet-water. You thanked your maid for handling you that bottled water… and that’s perfectly fine- thanking the maid for “her direct hand” for the process of quenching your thirst! BUT YOUR MAID COULDN’T HAVE PRODUCED THAT BOTTLED-WATER, RIGHT? Right.

Point is, when you realized it, your gratitude does not end with your thanks to the maid alone. The people behind the production of that bottled-water deserves a thankful thought in the form of hard-earned cash “for those lousy tricks” of bottling water! Lousy because they could have made the bottles just fly to you! Just like those things “lousy” things you see God did, He deserves our thanks!

You see, Robert, God’s lousy trick of producing Adam & Eve is actually the beginning of the human tests in this existence. Everything God didn’t complete, humans are tasked to complete them as part of the endless tests- because had God so willed, He’d just say “be and it is”! Meaning had it not for those tests He wants us to go through, God would not have made us allow living on this planet and would just make us some angels inhabiting the 7 heavens! Why He wants to put us on series of trials is simple- to determine our station in heaven!

Robert Haighton

(February 18, 2017 - 2:19 am)

Bad Will Jam,
        I do like your analogy with water, water production and the maid. I never looked it at that way.

But first of all. I dont have a maid. Secondly, and like you already pointed out: water is not for free; we have to pay for it. Thirdly, water (coming from the tap) is part of our basic needs (maslow’s lowest layer in his hierarchy) that we see it as granted. I dont need to worry being without water. Its everywhere. Clean and drinkable water. So I aim for higher things in my life (the higher layers within Maslow’s pyramid). In short, my gratitude for water is close to zero. Okay, so now you can switch to whiskey, bourbon or wine. But for those the same apply (Yes I am truely sorry for you).

Can atheists be inconsistent and maybe contradictory? Yes, they can or even they are. Let me give you an example. I can be pro-abortion today but when I read a scientific article about abortion – tomorrow – it can change my mind over night and be against abortion the day after. And that process is a continous process. I have to add that one source is no source (this is the law for all criticial journalists) So I have to read more scientific reviews/articles claiming the same outcome.

Here is another thing. Lets talk a little bit about genes and genetic make-up.
        I have 50% of my mon’s genes (egg cell) and 50% of my dad’s genes (sperm cell). Of that 50%, I have 25% of my respective grandmom and granddad. The higher (or lower) we get (in the family tree), the less inpact/influence that person has on my genetic make-up. Now, I dont know how many generations I have to count to end up with god, but I am sure his genetic impact/influence gets very close to 0/zero (0.00000000000000000000001). Oh, but wait, he didnt procreate Adam & Eve, so his genetic material impact on me is an absolute 0/zero.

What I want to say is in short: the faurther way something happened, the more I will take it for granted. But pls lets us not get carried away with it. I live for maybe 80-90 years and I have to do everything in those measly 80 years. Now, the first 20-25 years are ‘lost’ on going to school and the following 40 years I am working. From the age of 65, I can enjoy my retirement.
        Now thank goodness, I am able to do a lot of things because my income allows me to do those things. Like taking vacations in foreign country, have hobbies and live in a comfortable house.
        I really dont see the point of spending ALL my life worshipping a god. What will that bring me? Peace? I am in peace. Joy? I enjoy myself and life everyday!
        Oh and by the way: that book (bible) is also a lousy book. Can we get an update/upgrade of it? I cant respect nor appreciate nor like a book that I object to.

Robert Haighton

(February 18, 2017 - 4:34 am)

Bad Will Jam,
        Everytime when a company wants to send me something for free (or almost for free|) I will always think ‘what is the catch?’ and ‘where is the cathch?’ And I will also always read the small-print.
        What does that have to do with god? A lot actually.

He made Adam and Eve. But he doesnt tell us how and the bible doesnt explain us either. So in fact we get something for free.

You will probably say: “he can do things, we (simpletons) do not understand. But I do understand it when its explained to me. But it isnt explained to me. Why is that? Why is it not explained to us how he made A&E? Did he make A&E from 1 gallon of water, 1 KG of salt, pepper, garlic and onions?

You see, all he did raises more and more questions. Because I am critical. But people like you swallow everything as the truth. And all you can do is defend yourself by saying: “he can do things, we dont understand”
        Again, I can and will understand it when it is explained to me. What is the trick that he used? Then you can do the same trick he ‘did’ over and over again.

Of course, it is not explained to us bec it did not happen.

I dare and challenge you to answer me why it is not explained to us how he made A&E? And pls also expain/tell me why you accept that, that it is not explained? And finally tell me pls why you love ‘his’ book so much? Why are you swallowing it all so easily without being critical?

7771Hyden007Toro9999.99

(February 16, 2017 - 3:12 am)

Religion or faith is not based on logic. This includes Christianity…

We , Christians just believe…because, if we think what we believe: they don’t make sense in the logical world..

I know that Atheist use logic and human reasons to believe in things. Unfortunately, there are many things and phenomena, in this world and in this universe that our human mind/reason or logic, cannot explain.

I am open minded on all kinds of beliefs or religions. To blow up someone, because they do not share your religious belief is insanity. It is murdering people, because of differences of opinions.

My religious faith is private. I don’t intend to discuss them in this web blog.

Whatever your religion is; if it makes you a good person… go for it !

Bad Will Jam

(February 17, 2017 - 8:07 pm)

Robert Haighton:

Thank you for sharing your Atheist’s beliefs. Sure, cool heads never kill each other regardless of the religion they’re affiliated with. Hotheaded ones do- even Saints could kill someone once they blew their tops (you can ask the medieval Popes about it)!

Furthermore, there is something just I read, here: “Because an atheist does believe in God, but does not believe that he believes in God, he is simply a walking bundle of inconsistencies. One type to watch for is a behavioral inconsistency; this is where a person’s behavior does not comport with what he claims to believe. For example, consider the atheist university professor who teaches that human beings are simply chemical accidents—the end result of a long and purposeless chain of biological evolution. But then he goes home and kisses his wife and hugs his children as if they were not simply chemical accidents, but valuable, irreplaceable persons deserving of respect and worthy of love.

Consider the atheist who is outraged at seeing a violent murder on the ten o’clock news. He is very upset and hopes that the murderer will be punished for his wicked actions. But in his view of the world, why should he be angry? In an atheistic, evolutionary universe where people are just animals, murder is no different than a lion killing an antelope. But we don’t punish the lion! If people are just chemical accidents, then why punish one for killing another? We wouldn’t get upset at baking soda for reacting with vinegar; that’s just what chemicals do. The concepts that human beings are valuable, are not simply animals, are not simply chemicals, have genuine freedom to make choices, are responsible for their actions, and are bound by a universal objective moral code all stem from a belief in God” – what’s your take on this Robert?

Robert Haighton

(February 18, 2017 - 3:26 am)

Bad Will Jam,
        The (video) footages I see on the 8PM and 10PM national news of people killing each other are so common, it makes me numb. In my country the number of killings is low (not including traffic accidents). This is probably the reason why we can close many jails. The jail in my city is closed and now being used to house refugees. If you want to go on a killing spree in my country, the worst punishment you will get is life imprisonement.

Do I care that you start killing people? No, I dont. If it makes you horny, be my guest. If that is the only way, you think you have to solve a problem, then I consider you a low-life scum bag. But it will not make me angry nor cry. It just goes to show that you are unable to solve a problem in any other way. We do look down on people like that and it widens the gap between people. Thats all.

Jamess

(February 16, 2017 - 6:29 am)

Christians are atheists when it comes to 2999 of the 3000 religions we have. Atheists just not believe in one more religion than Christians.

RandomReader

(February 16, 2017 - 8:20 am)

Hyden: “…Let us respect other people’s beliefs.”
    Robert: “…How can you respect my ‘belief’ and be totally against it?”

I’m assuming that Hyden meant “respect” as “to leave them be and mind your own business”.

While in Robert’s question, “respect” is like “accept who you are” meaning. And yeah, it doesn’t make sense if you’re totally against it.

So I suggest, we refrain from the word “respect” and go with something else that delivers what we mean. I don’t hate Christians nor Atheists, but it’s not really good being misunderstood. I like the comments section of this blog than the article itself sometimes.

Robert Haighton

(February 16, 2017 - 9:45 am)

RandomReader,
      I will try to explain the word respect how we use it and I will do it by using (not abusing) Mr. Hyden’s name.

Mr. Hyden was trainer/coach of Manila FC in the season 2013-2014
      Mr. Hyden was trainer/coach of Cebu City FC in the season 2014-2015
      Mr. Hyden was trainer/coach of Davao City FC in the season 2015-2016

Mr. Hyden made all 3 teams champions of the Philippine premier league. That feat never happened in the past and we will have to see if that will ever happen again in the future. For this achievement he is highly respected and credited. After his death, all 3 clubs will erect a statue of him in front of the respective stadia. In his honor and to pay respect of that unbelievable achievement.
      After Mr. Hyden’s death, his generation still speaks about that one feat. Any other trainer/coach who only became champions once, was hardly discussed and talked about and obviously didnt got a statue.

So when you achieved something out of the ordinary, we respect you highly. You must have some extra-ordinary skills, talent and know-how.
      Ordinary people dont deserve that kind of respect.

It really sounds ridiculous to respect something that one objects at the same time.

From a personal point of view: pls upgrade the PH definition of the word respect. It seems that PH people respect everybody while in my neck of the woods you really must have achieved something spectacular. That is quite the opposite in definition.

Robert Haighton

(February 16, 2017 - 9:54 pm)

Rob,
    “… is all about freedom from guilt!”
    What guilt? Should/Must I feel/be guilty of something?

Somewhere else, I stated that my parents encouraged and stimulated me to explore the world. That means also learn about all available religions and that I can join any religion that I want. They did that in a objective, unbiased way without directing me in any direction. In my country, it is (legally and culturally) allowed to actually bite the hand that feeds/fed me without any (negative) consequences.

222Hyden007Toro9999.999

(February 17, 2017 - 4:16 am)

@Robert Haighhton:

Oh my God ! I have aroused the anger of an Atheist, by writing about God. He is seeing Red, and going Nuts…

Mr. Haighton, let us have a deal: we go “Dutch Treat” on our beliefs…with or without respect ! Deal or no Deal ?

Redford W

(February 19, 2017 - 11:51 pm)

@Robert H.
      “…pls upgrade the PH definition of the word respect. It seems that PH people respect everybody …”
      “Ordinary people dont deserve that kind of respect.”

Robert Haighton

(February 20, 2017 - 1:40 am)

Redford,
        I watched the video. Thanks for the link. And your point is?

Pls dont tell me you are shocked? Yes, the candidates were insulted and humiliated in public on TV. If nobody in their immediate surroundings (dad, mom, sister, brother, friends) can tell you/them that you/they have a lousy (singing) voice then somebody else is gonna tell you that.

Here is a copy of what Django_unchained wrote (in this same comment box):
        I’d like to debunk the widely accepted belief that “Christians”, at least the so-called good ones, respect other people’s beliefs. It’s euphemism at its finest because saving face is simply the preferred route most people, especially Filipinos, love to take when it comes to conflict. One day I wish “Christians” would simply tell me that they despise me or I will go to hell or I am not welcome or [insert negative statement].

django_unchained

(February 17, 2017 - 3:15 am)

django_unchained

(February 17, 2017 - 3:59 am)

And can this author explain why Protestantism, which he seems to be part of, has so many denominations and have their own fair share of unruly history?

Jamess

(February 17, 2017 - 4:42 am)

I was a Christian when I was born. In school I learned of other religions. My thought was immediately that religions contradict each other and the only logical conclusion is that they are all wrong. I am very surprised that not all people come to this only logical conclusion.

I would not call myself an atheist, because I don’t think a word like that should even exist. Why do you need a word for not being in mass psychosis?

Don’t you religious ever wonder how you were so lucky to be born in “the right” culture that has the only “correct” religion?

Common-Tao

(February 17, 2017 - 12:57 pm)

When you follow the teachings of Jesus Christ completely, it is the only time you will gain a complete peace of mind without worrying what would your life must be. You will be filled with joyness and contentment in your heart. You will be happy every day of your life and you are always ready to die because you are not afraid because you know you are with Jesus. Christian people call that salvation. Moreover, you always think to care about others because you will feel more happiness in doing so. To always look at the moral and positive values of life each day that will complete your longings in life.

Following the teachings of Jesus requires great discipline because it is extra ordinary compare to other disciplines in this world. It oblige you not to do or even think something that will cause you to sin in your lifetime. It is excruaciating because you have to fight and also avoid bad temptations that will come in your way in order to remain faithful to Jesus. It transcends beyond boundaries of human mind because it has FAITH, which ordinary people cannot truly understand unless they surrender themselves to Jesus Christ. It surely is a gift when Jesus is with you because not all people can understand and experience that feeling.

When you do what Jesus told in the bible, you will always think of the present and the future. If you remain faithful in your whole life and when you grow old and you did what Jesus told in the bible, you will look back and feel proud of yourself. No worries and no regrets. Only pure joy, happiness and contentment. It is an absolute guarantee.

django_unchained

(February 17, 2017 - 2:39 pm)

Thanks but no thanks. I never did drugs and I have no intentions on doing them now.

Greg

(February 17, 2017 - 10:14 pm)

You stated that Christians require “great discipline because it is extra ordinary compare to other disciplines in this world.” Where did you get this idea? Christians I meet are very undisciplined and exhibit the same bad behavior and weakness as anyone else does. Christians eat whatever they want, including junk food, all meats, candy and alcohol. They also engage in gambling, sex, lies and hypocrisy frequently. The Christian faith requires very little discipline. Christians are nowhere near as disciplined as Jains, Sikhs and certain Buddhist sects. Christianity does not promote a reduction in suffering. Only strict asceticism and discipline reduces violence and suffering.

Common-Tao

(February 18, 2017 - 12:24 am)

Greg, I did not automatically say that all Christians are following Jesus teachings as some are just plain hypocrites and only carry the Christian name/religion as a product of family and social history/status. What I meant is the real followers/believers of Jesus who strictly adhere to the latter’s teachings in the bible will experience discipline beyond ordinary because it is their only way to enter the Kingdom as stated in the book.

The so called Christians you met are not real or true to their beliefs. So sad, you did not meet some Christians who are really devoted to their faith. If you read the bible and what Jesus stated there, you will realize that it is not easy and will require great amount of time and effort beyond ordinary. That is what I meant about above discipline – it exactly is the Jesus’ way. Not the people who pretend to be Christians like the ones you met.

Don’t be fooled and draw conclusions only from what you see from those pretentious Christians you stated above because what they did is sinful and opposite to the teachings of Jesus. And to other religion, of course they have certain discipline, but what discipline the people need is the discipline going to salvation and I think it is only thru Jesus.

Greg

(February 18, 2017 - 8:48 am)

Common-Tao,

I appreciate the cordial response. I understand your points; however, I have yet to meet a Christian who actually follows Christ. In an increasingly materialistic/ superficial world, the basic teaching of humility and give up your wealth so a less fortunate/ poor person can have food – has no impact. People, including Filipinos, would rather buy luxury items like designer bags and smart phones, than give that money to the poor. I don’t know one Christian who does not wear clothing made in sweatshops; I bet you do as well. I don’t know any human being who follows the word of Christ. Therefore, what does being Christian mean? I hear theoretical and moral promotion of Christ by people who are not following Christ. The person who follows Christ, in my experience, doesn’t exist. My point is that moral teachings and hypothetical discipline are meaningless if literally no one exhibits it.

Robert Haighton

(February 18, 2017 - 3:44 am)

Greg,
        In my country the Christians* can be parted into 3 categories. And I think by what you wrote is exactly what is happening in my country.

The 3 categories are:
        1) the strict Christians (they follow the bible exactly, precise and to the letter. They can be found in the Dutch bible-belt).
        2) the moderate Christians.
        3) the enlightened Christians (the only ‘sign’ that makes them Christians is that they are baptised. But they live, behave and think like atheists).

* With Christians, I mean Catholics, Roman Catholics, Protestants, Dutch Reformed and all other variants.

Greg

(February 18, 2017 - 2:49 pm)

Robert,

Yes I have noticed the different Christian groups in my country as well as the Philippines. The very devout ones, however, don’t convince me they are that strict. They may talk strict – but my experience is that many are faking it for show. I don’t doubt there are real ones who actually live by what they preach. The problem is this fundamentalist belief system doesn’t mix well with western enlightenment and modernity; for instance, the bible saying that women are inferior to men in the book of Ephesians. Most civilized, intelligent people do not believe women are slaves.

Common-Tao

(February 19, 2017 - 3:50 pm)

Greg, there are a few people who practically practice what they preach but they are rare. It’s not the usual thing you will see in your life every day. Like diamonds that are precious but are rare or hard to find.

The right path as stated in the bible is a narrow path. Only few will stick to it until the end of his lifetime because it requires overwhelming faith and devotion. Many tried to exhibit it but they faltered and they did not able to survive because they succumbed to temptations and bad choices in life. Basically they are weak. They regret in the end but they cannot bring back anymore to correct their past mistakes. Only those who are strong can survive. Their discipline is beyond ordinary. Their vision is beyond the boundary of this world because their faith is focused not in this world. They think that heaven and hell is real. And human beings did not exist on their own and the world may not work in symmetry without the Powerful Creator. We just did not exist for free but we are indebted to Him. Even in this world our freedom is not absolute. We have to follow the laws and we are bound by it in our lifetime. Otherwise we will get punished by law enforcers. We will go to jail or worst get killed.

Some people may say that those who follow Christ never enjoyed their lives. If enjoyment literally means we can travel to the world or eat healthily or be with our family or drawing happiness from the people we help is not enjoyment, then what is? Do they mean that we will break the laws (of heaven and land) necessarily just to enjoy ourselves? Do they mean we can kill someone without reason or sniff illegal drugs or rape many women just to prove we are enjoying ourselves? No, it’s not. As I stated above, we will be afraid of the repurcussions that might happen to us. Imprisonment or death, that is.

To those people who are always asking for explanation, there are some things in this world that are hard to explain. Examples; exorcism and hex (kulam), am I right? that are proven by many that are true but are difficult to explain. And many more both good miracles and curse. So it’s not only logic and reason exist in this world.

john

(February 21, 2017 - 10:51 pm)

you seemed to have insulted God through your ignorance. the day when Jesus founded his church he promised that it would continue unabated up to the last days of men.

Matthew 16:18
          And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Matthew 28:19-20
          New International Version (NIV)

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Ngek Ngek

(February 18, 2017 - 1:29 pm)

I am neither a theist or an atheist, very comfortable being an apatheist. I do not want to lose my time reading the masturbation of endless arguments of these opposing groups of which at best leads useless ejaculations.

Robert Haighton

(February 18, 2017 - 5:15 pm)

Greg,
    I know what you mean. Just before, the relationship with my pinay GF started, I noticed something on her Facebook. Back in those days, it was called a ‘shout out’. And there she wrote: A devout Roman Catholic’. Now, I dont know what that means in Filipino language but months later she fucked my brains out (that is the expression we use when people have sex). Living in the Dutch Bible Belt, that is really close to impossible even more so with an atheist.

I also regard the bible as women unfriendly. And also human unfriendly and based on by putting fear in people’s minds. You have to follow the doctrine or else you end up in hell. Wow, very beautiful and very inspiring. And every time you make a mistake (sin) you will be forgiven. Hardly in line with the real world.

klara

(February 19, 2017 - 1:16 pm)

There’s a different interpretation of Christianity that has merits. NOT the one that says only those who convert will get saved. Seriously. The theory fails a simple test. Compare somebody who converts to christianity but maintains his corrupt ways, with a non-christian but dignified in his actions. The infinite still chooses to save the corrupt one just because he believes a god incarnate already died for his sins? It sort of appeals to the perverse liberal notions ( “nobody’s perfect, so you don’t even have to try. We’re all equal in this rainbow of life”) loaded with BS. I respect diversity and sovereignty, but there are certain deviations that distort reason.

Greg

(February 20, 2017 - 3:14 pm)

Robert,

Yes, I agree with you. There is much negativity and violence in the bible, as well as oppression.

Roel

(February 20, 2017 - 7:14 am)

This is a very good article. I haven’t laughed this hard in some time. Thank you, Mr. Santos. Your style reminds me of Robert Benchley’s or even James Thurber’s if you don’t mind the stretch.

Egg

(February 20, 2017 - 8:09 pm)

@Greg
      Like what exactly? Under what circumstances and who oppresses who?!

Greg

(February 21, 2017 - 9:22 am)

Egg,

Read 1 Ephesians 5:22-24, 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 and 1 Timothy 2:11-14.

Egg

(February 21, 2017 - 8:23 pm)

@Greg
    When people read passages from the Bible they find it a lot of times contradicting itself. Why? Perhaps people are just to lazy or try to be “all-knowing” (while others try to be ignorant) and do not consider certain things about what they read.

Have you considered when was it spoken or why was it spoken? To whom and by whom and under what circumstances? Are the passages still relevant to this day?

What’s my point? What you read or what you believe are NOT always what you think they are! Like you can ask, Are the Commandments of God only Ten?!

I presume we are not experts here and so, to prove a point, I’ll just direct you to a debate between two christian leaders taking opposite sides on a topic!

Topic: Is it necessary to obey the Ten Commandments in the Christian Era based in the Bible?

full version (If you have the interest or patience!)

part 22 of 25 (If you don’t have the patience, it becomes clearer by this point on!)

Greg

(February 21, 2017 - 9:18 pm)

Egg,

If you are accusing me of being lazy or “all knowing” by citing biblical passages in their direct form, you are another cafeteria apologist and you are dishonest. Women were considered second class citizens at the time the bible was written. The passages are written plain to understand. You can’t handle the fact that the bible is filled with violence and promotion of the subjugation of women. Most religions are similar. Pat Robertson, the Christian American founder of the 700 Club, even stated that ladies are second to men. I am not some wishy-washy, politically correct person who looks for ephemistic ” interpretations” of what something means. The bible states women must submit to her husband. The bible also states that women ought to be killed if they marry without being a virgin. These are facts and not up for interpretation. If a man says to you, ” Egg, you are a stupid asshole and to hell with you!” Will you interpret that to mean the person was saying you and he should go play basketball this Saturday? Perhaps you would. I am sick of people who use vague, deranged, relativistic excuses for things that are clearly stated. You can take your wishy- washy political correctness somewhere else. It doesn’t work with me.

Egg

(February 21, 2017 - 9:41 pm)

@Greg
    Perhaps you are familiar with this passage too! It is clearly in defense of a woman! Again, is the Bible contradicting itself?!

John 8:7King James Version (KJV)
    7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

john

(February 21, 2017 - 10:31 pm)

There are so many christian religions existed nowadays and each one claimed to have a bible based doctrine.
    But they differed to one another, doctrines against doctrines and if we sum them up it’s totally in chaotic order . so there’s a confusion from among these claimants of one true God.

i have found one solution to determine true religion from false and the only way to prove what that is they must be subjected to questioning. so let’s do it here and anyone can join this test for truth.

here it is: were Adam and Eve our first parents?

Robert Haighton

(February 22, 2017 - 3:40 am)

@John,
      “here it is: were Adam and Eve our first parents?”
      Who the fuck cares? The only true and real parents that matter are your own biological parents. Without them you maybe may have not been here.

Greg

(February 22, 2017 - 2:46 pm)

Egg,

You are using relativism again. Do you deny the passages that say degrading things? According to you the bible does contradict itself so why bother reading it? It means that nothing can be learned because of confusion.

The cast a stone passage is not in defense of women. It simply says that the honest ones may attack her and kill her, not the liars. This also does not negate the passages saying women are to submit to men and no woman shall teach a man. You cannot defend those passages. Even evil dictators have good qualities, so what is your point? Hitler treated his secretary very well and he loves cats and dogs. Does that make his evil justifiable?

john

(February 22, 2017 - 6:14 pm)

Then u must be a failure man.
        Atheist do believe in a evolutionary method of experiment and u….what?
        the lowest kind?

john

(February 22, 2017 - 6:34 pm)

Biological parents?
        Robert must have missed some few points about parenthood.
        if ur an orphan living with ur foster parents who are responsible for ur upbringing,
        do u consider them as ur real parents?
        i bet u do. then why displayed this ignorance ?

Jesus brings in more sensible points than u do.

Matthew 12:48-50
        New International Version (NIV)

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”
        49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.
        50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Proverbs 27:10
        Do not forsake your friend or a friend of your family, and do not go to your relative’s house when disaster strikes you— better a neighbor nearby than a relative far away.

Daniel Ali

(February 22, 2017 - 2:35 am)

In the beginning man created god.

Egg

(February 22, 2017 - 5:52 pm)

1.) Do you deny the passages that say degrading things?

Well if you will judge it by today’s standards it may appear to look like what you think it is but if you consider it during their times it may not be so! If rules (of hierarchy) are being in place to create/promote order will you consider that degrading?! If by today we consider every man as equals why is there still a need for kings or monarchs?

2.) According to you the bible does contradict itself so why bother reading it?

Says who? You’re words not mine! It just appears to some people that the Bible is contradicting itself because they want to think of it as they think it is. Atheist will not bother to ask themselves why because they are too lazy to even find out! I guess no amount of words will suffice to a close-minded thinking!

3.) The cast a stone passage is not in defense of women. It simply says that the honest ones may attack her and kill her, not the liars.

No, IT IS clearly in defense of someone, in this case, a woman! If you can prove to us otherwise… if there is such a verse being said similar to yours, make your day!

4.) so what is your point?

The problem with most Atheist is that while they allow to submit themselves (either voluntarily or forcibly under duress) under the laws of man (whether they believe in such laws or not) because of fear of penalties and consequences, on one hand, they think it’s okay to deny God’s Laws on the other because they simply can. And such consequences and penalties (by God)…they just don’t see them coming. They are too Hip and they are Free Thinkers!

The point is that the Bible is a book of continuing stories that adapts to the changing times. (Who knows if a another chapter of the book will reveal itself to us in the future.) It’s simply a Guide Book for Humanity!

(So it really puzzling why some people reject a guidebook. If Atheist can believe in the idea that we came from apes, which is proven to be a very huge scientific hoax, why not a living guidebook! You see Atheist also contradict themselves!)

Instead of Order and Harmony (as intended by the Book) Chaos and Conflict comes in because Pseudo-Intellectuals interpret it their way for their own selfish ends. Really it takes Open-Minded Intelligent people to understand it!

Greg

(February 22, 2017 - 8:30 pm)

Egg,

First of all, I am not an atheist. Everyone, technically, can be called an atheist because most people do not believe in most of the Gods who have ever existed.

Well then you are justifying the murder and oppression of women because that was accepted during that time. It was accepted because, two-thousand years ago, the barbaric people would do such things. Tell me: under what circumstances is killing a women acceptable? Not being a virgin justifies murder? Explain the sane, rational thoughts behind that.

I will ask again,: if the bible contradicts itself and is filled with antiquated, barbaric lessons, why believe any of it? You are a fraud who chooses what to believe and what not to believe. God even says that his words are not up for interpretation. You are in denial and are trying to spin. So under a hierarchy rape, murder and oppression is ok because it keeps order. Well, the Spanish who colonized the Philippines and made the Filipinos slaves and forced Catholicism upon the people were justified at the time because the bible says slaves ought to obey their Christian masters. They were also more powerful in the hierarchy.

The cast a stone passage says that a women who commits adultery ought to be killed. Jesus stood up for the woman – but would have had her killed if she had committed adultery. That is pro-woman? How many women in the Philippines commit adultery? How many men? Should they be killed?

Egg, you deny God’s law by not folowing it. You disobey the laws of God because you would be in prison if you followed them. Do you eat pork? It is an abomination, according to bible. Read Leviticus 11:7-8 and Deuteronomy 14:8. You are a hypocrite.

There are questions about how humans came to be. Humans are mammals, whose main desire in life is to mate; just like other animals. Humans have a tailbone…explain that to me? Also, when a woman is on her back, the vagina is upside down. Why is that?

Pseudo-intellectuals? You believe in talking snakes and you want to argue about intellect? Why are Filipinos so fucked up if they are Catholic? Christianity creates order? There is nothing but chaos in the Philippines despite it being a Catholic country. Japan, Sweden and Norway are far more advanced, civilized, modern, peacful countries with a much better quality of life. How has seclularism affected them negatively? Yeah, the Philippines and Mexico are such wonderful cooutries, with their Catholic theocrasies. Very successful!

Robert Haighton

(February 22, 2017 - 3:37 am)

@John,
    “you seemed to have insulted God through your ignorance.”
    You wrote ‘seemed’. I can live with that.

BTW: Blasphemy is not a crime in my country.

Egg

(February 22, 2017 - 10:26 pm)

Hey Greg, Mr. Wise Guy, are you in the habit of putting words in other people’s mouth?! Where in my words exactly did I mention anything about “justifying the murder and oppression of women”? On the contrary wasn’t it you Mr. SpinMaster, WITH YOUR OWN WORDS, who is supplying the answer: “It was accepted because, two-thousand years ago, the barbaric people would do such things.”

You say a lot of things! You seem to enjoy it so I do not know what’s your end-game of it!

“Do you eat pork? It is an abomination, according to bible. Read Leviticus 11:7-8 and Deuteronomy 14:8.”

Have you considered pigs in those days being scavengers and unclean unlike in today’s practice where pigs are raised in totally different environment? Have some sense (the Bible isn’t static, laws also need to change somehow). Now consider these:

Genesis 9:3New International Version (NIV)

3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Mark 7:19New International Version (NIV)

19 For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)

Again the above verses appears to be a contradiction with what you cited but really they are not. You just have to consider and take things into perspective to make it more clearer. (Open-Minded Thinking!)

Now you are asking why are we fucked up? Who do you think should be blamed? God, The Bible or Man with his own free will? As you said, it’s “…people would do such things.”

BTW Mr. Magnificent, about that “tailbone” and the “inverted vagina”, I think you owe us an explanation!

Greg

(February 23, 2017 - 12:43 am)

Egg,

Resorting to name-calling because you can’t win the argument. You are either very stupid or mentally ill. It is a waste of time debating with someone who cannot answer any questions; therefore, you just call names and act like a child.

You are accusing me of justifying oppression of women. Where did I do that? You are a liar who makes up nonsense and twists because you lost. You justified rape and oppression of women by making excuses for the passages in the bible that promote it. I am criticizing the bible by it saying women ought to be virgins on their wedding day, or else they should be killed. The people who wrote the bible had a low opinion of women and it was accepted that they be abused 2000 years ago. Am I not the one who criticized this?

Open-minded thinking is your term for interpreting biblical passages that you don’t like. I call it hypocrisy and spinning the truth.

Yes, the Filipino culture is fucked up. Corruption, crime, poverty, laziness, a lack of following basic rules (like driving), weak economy, disease, no personal responsibility and many other problems. It is total chaos. Why isn’t going to church working for Filipinos? There is chaos is non-religious Norway and Sweden?

I am sure Lapu Lapu would be happy that the Filipino people have been successfully converted to Catholicism, despite his fighting against oppression of the Filipino people by their Christian slavemasters.

john

(February 22, 2017 - 7:16 pm)

My last message about a test for truth will determine the real foundations of Christianity since Jesus said that he would build his own church and that church he mentioned was in singular form which mean there has to be a one true church from among the impostors. so where is the true church of God?

Now they had been teaching that Adam and Eve were our first parents. But the bible never said anything about it. i found out that these churches have relied so much on reasoning and not on biblical truth.

if we read Luke’s account further this complicates to even more.
    Luke 3: 38
    …… the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam,
    the son of God.

But still they maintained that Adam has no parents ,

if this is so, then what was written in Genesis 2:24 ?

Genesis 2:24
    New International Version (NIV)

24 That is why a Man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife,
    and they become one flesh.

so the two accounts stated clearly that Adam has parents which opposed to what they taught to us and from these two statements we learned that God was our first parents from the earliest times.

Is God our first parent? what is ur answer?