So Anne Curtis will now be doing a reprise of the mermaid role in the latest film version of Mars Ravelo’s Dyesebel. This was announced last week by ABS-CBN and Curtis is reportedly excited…
“It’s another dream come true. Sobra lang akong speechless kasi napakalaking project ito. Sinasabi ko noon sa interviews dati, dream role ko ang Dyesebel. So ito na, 2014, great way to start the year,” she told media in a press conference on Thursday, January 9.
Dyesebel is a popular mermaid character in the Philippines. The comic book character was originally conceived by the Filipino comic book illustrator, Mars Ravelo and drawn by Elpidio Torres. Dyesebel is a prominent character in Philippine cinema and television. It was first serialized in Pilipino Komiks in 1952-53, and was later adapted into the big screen that same year. The movie topbilled Jaime de La Rosa as Fredo and Edna Luna as Dyesebel. The movie produced under Manuel Vistan Productions, Inc. and released thru Premiere Productions, was directed by the great Gerardo ‘Gerry’ De Leon.
I wonder though… what are the implications of Curtis’s new role as a half girl, half fish ocean dweller on her being the current celebrity endorser of Century Tuna (the Philippines’ biggest producer of canned tuna)? Won’t it be a kind of betrayal of her fishy friends?
Well, as a consolation to Dyesebel and friends, Century Tuna Philippines joins the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) in promoting handline fishing “in a bid to cut overfishing of yellowfin and bigeye tuna.”
Dyesebel can rest easy.
[NB: Parts of this article were lifted from the Wikipedia.org article “Dyesebel” in a manner compliant to the terms stipulated in the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License that governs usage of content made available in this site.]
- Here is how INTELLIGENT Opposition to the Duterte administration is done… - December 18, 2017
- Filipinos are poor because their “activists” teach them to be obsessed with the rich - December 17, 2017
- Why did Isabelle Duterte have a photoshoot in Malacanang Palace? Because she can. - December 17, 2017
- Noynoy Aquino lauded for merely showing up at Congress inquiry on Dengvaxia - December 15, 2017
- Martial Law “debate”: Does the Constitution serve Filipinos? Or do Filipinos serve the Constitution? - December 13, 2017