So Anne Curtis will now be doing a reprise of the mermaid role in the latest film version of Mars Ravelo’s Dyesebel. This was announced last week by ABS-CBN and Curtis is reportedly excited…
“It’s another dream come true. Sobra lang akong speechless kasi napakalaking project ito. Sinasabi ko noon sa interviews dati, dream role ko ang Dyesebel. So ito na, 2014, great way to start the year,” she told media in a press conference on Thursday, January 9.
Dyesebel is a popular mermaid character in the Philippines. The comic book character was originally conceived by the Filipino comic book illustrator, Mars Ravelo and drawn by Elpidio Torres. Dyesebel is a prominent character in Philippine cinema and television. It was first serialized in Pilipino Komiks in 1952-53, and was later adapted into the big screen that same year. The movie topbilled Jaime de La Rosa as Fredo and Edna Luna as Dyesebel. The movie produced under Manuel Vistan Productions, Inc. and released thru Premiere Productions, was directed by the great Gerardo ‘Gerry’ De Leon.
I wonder though… what are the implications of Curtis’s new role as a half girl, half fish ocean dweller on her being the current celebrity endorser of Century Tuna (the Philippines’ biggest producer of canned tuna)? Won’t it be a kind of betrayal of her fishy friends?
Well, as a consolation to Dyesebel and friends, Century Tuna Philippines joins the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) in promoting handline fishing “in a bid to cut overfishing of yellowfin and bigeye tuna.”
Dyesebel can rest easy.
[NB: Parts of this article were lifted from the Wikipedia.org article “Dyesebel” in a manner compliant to the terms stipulated in the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License that governs usage of content made available in this site.]
- Filipinos should stop believing in “evil” in order to progress as a society - July 16, 2018
- Duterte’s popularity continues to soar despite the best efforts of the Opposition to shoot him down - July 16, 2018
- The REAL Philippine State of the Nation demystified - July 15, 2018
- Under federalism, EVERY Filipino tribe will find out what they are REALLY made of - July 13, 2018
- The Philippine Opposition’s only REAL goal is to SABOTAGE the Philippine economy - July 13, 2018