Is it really a contest of talent? Or is it a contest of which of the candidates can mobilise the biggest voting bloc? Filipino-Mexican American Idol contestant Jessica Sanchez represented the hopes and dreams of her co-ethnics as she made it to the finals of the popular reality talent show. But it took a “save” from the panel of judges to keep her in the running after she attracted the lowest number of votes among the contestants in last Thursday (12th April) night’s episode.
Filipino-American television viewers have vowed to “actively vote for Sanchez until the finals” and, for their part, “local artists and personalities [in the Philippines] have also expressed their support for Sanchez, saying they would do their share of voting if they could”.
[Photo courtesy tr3s.]
The question therefore is, will Jessica Sanchez win the American Idol title because of her talent? Or will she win it because of the simple fact of her ethnic background and the voting power that can be mobilised around it?
Abangan ang susunod na kabanata…
- To CONQUER their future, Filipinos need to forget the past and get over Martial Law Butthurt - September 21, 2017
- Opposition’s lack of a strong leader and vision secures Duterte’s hold on power - September 20, 2017
- To every Filipino ‘activist’ slogan, always ask: ‘And then what?’ - September 20, 2017
- Filipinos have come to prefer VIOLENT solutions to their national problems - September 15, 2017
- ‘Human rights abuse’ is perpetrated ONLY by cops and soldiers according to @CHRgovPh - September 14, 2017